This blog is a collection of observations and insight paired with some wonderful photographs and bits of prose to enrich your life. It is a creative outlet of mine designed to ignite sparks of creative efforts in you. We can never forget that we are all in some way connected and no one stands alone. As I share with you, it is my hope that you will in turn share yourself with others.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Open Heart


San Juan Capistrano '10

Galatians 5
14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
That seems simple enough. Most of us can even claim to be adhering to that simple little rule. The only problem that some of us are having is that we don't always like ourselves all that much. Simply projecting the amount of love one has for their own self onto others is not the fulfillment of this task. We often bear down too hard on ourselves under the guise of seeking to improve ourselves.

Love, in every instance, is an ongoing act. Its not a mental state, it is a continuous action. Most of us are familiar with the Greek word agapaō, meaning love.
ἀγαπάω

But it is helpful to know some of the alternate meanings and translations to shed more light on this otherwise ambiguous word. These days we ascribe so much to that little four letter word; we would do better to know the parameters that this particular verse infers.

In reference to people, this word incorporates the following meanings: to welcome, to be fond of, and to love dearly; to wish well to, to regard the welfare of and to be full of good will and exhibit the same. In reference to things, it incorporates these meanings: to be well pleased, to be contented at or with a thing.

Take care to carefully consider the other entries we've discovered in regards to the meaning of love. ( but note the bold print, as this is our ultimate goal and an effective goal for keeping the entire law and inheriting eternal life through Christ Jesus.)

Now, I will open my heart to you. The lack of love shown to one's self is indeed connected to the amount of self-confidence one has--but it is not the effect, it is the cause. How we perceive ourselves is a direct result of how much we love and value our selves.

If I for whatever reason am unhappy with some aspect of myself, I take it out on me by looking down on me. Remember, how we view ourselves is how we project ourselves to the rest of the world too. So if I think little of me, others will likely think less of me and treat me accordingly. As a result, I am likely to hold a grudge against others for treating me in a manner that fits perfectly with how I perceive and portray myself, yet is grossly incongruous with how I want to be treated.

Now how can I fix this equation?

How I love and see me = How you see and treat me = How I treat you

If we start at the beginning, no clear action can be taken. (I can write myself cute little notes and put on rosy glasses, but it won't change a thing.) I can't change the middle section either. (I can't control you, and can hardly influence your thoughts without actions.) I can, however, actively work to change the latter part. If I treat others kindly, despite how disjointed their reciprocation may be, I know within myself that I am performing a task that is difficult, yet is required of me. Thus, I create a sense of duty which I in turn interpret as responsible self-improvement. Self-improvement is what I was going for in the long run anyway, so that in turn makes me happy with myself. I think better of myself, and as I continue in this manner I learn to love myself at last.

So, now we come back to our ultimate goal: loving others like ourselves! Now it actually means something. If we open our hearts to others, and treat them well because we aim to love them--we set ourselves up to love ourselves.

And we're so gullible, we'll often fall for anything. ;)

Photo by Arina B
Lexicon

No comments:

Post a Comment